Court House, Gaol &
Constructed in 1903, the
structure is similar to other government buildings of the
day in Greenspond, Bonavista and Placentia. In addition to
the court and jail, the building housed the police constable
and his family, the Customs House, the Magistrate’s Office
and the Post & Telegraph Office.
In 2010 the Historical Society
is carrying out a number of renovations on this building.
Some of the renovations include replacing the existing tower
roof with a replica of the original (shown below).
There will also be a number of interior renovations which
will include completing the third floor and upgrading the
electrical through out the building. There is also a
number of exterior renovations which includes replacing
clapboard and new paint, installing a clock in the tower
which was once there and replacing all the windows with
locally handcrafted windows including storms. This building
is used as a public space and has rental units for
businesses, if you are interested in renting an area please
contact us for further details.
information on the Court House, Gaol and General Building
please visit the
Heritage foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.