of the Fort as a place for fortification of
was abandoned and it later became the location for a navigational
aid for the area when a lighthouse, and most likely fog horn, was
installed on the point in 1871.
The Scottish Firm of D & T Stevenson was contracted to build the
structure and received $3,156.00 to complete the project. Upon
completion the following notice was published for mariners.
"On and after 1st January
1874, a fixed white light will be exhibited nightly from sunset to
sunrise at this place upon a wooden towere painted white, and at a
height of 75 feet above the level of the sea, and it should be
visible in clear weather for eleven miles. The erection is situated
in 48 degrees 21' 55" North Latitude, and 53 degrees 26' 54" West
Longitude. The apparatus is diptric of the 8th order, with a single
argand burner, and illuminating an arc of the horizon of 320
degrees. In entering the harbour the Light must be kept on the port
This was the first
Lighthouse to be constructed at Fort Point with work beginning in
lighthouse that was constructed in 1921 is referred to as a “White
attached to the base of the earlier tower” so it would seem that the
original tower itself was replaced, which probably meant an upgrade
in lighting system.
The 1921 Lighthouse at Fort Point was made from
cast iron and stood in place until June 25, 1971
At the end of November 1938 the Schooner
Marion Rogers sank just outside of Fort Point Lighthouse, Trinity
with all souls onboard being lost to the sea. The vessel was locally
owned and on the night she was lost seven men from the area were
drowned in what has been referred to as the Mouth of the Horn, in
reference to the entrance to Trinity Harbour. The schooner was on
her way back to Trinity from St. John’s and mere feet away from
arriving safely when she struck the rocks off Fort Point.
A Magisterial Enquiry was held into the cause of the incident. For
more detailed information visit the virtual exhibit
www.newfoundlandshipwrecks.com and click on the link Marion
The current installation at Fort Point is a modern steel
skeletal tower which was installed c. the 1980s, but to
retain historical accuracy the skeletal tower was
covered by a wooden faux front which makes it more
ascetically pleasing and appear historically correct
when viewing the structure from Trinity.
The automated light at Fort Point
was erected in the 1980s and after some petitioning it was enclosed
with wooden clapboard in 2003. Its light flashes white every five
seconds and has a range of fifteen nautical miles.
Fort Point Lighthouse is currently operated
and maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard and is 26 ft high, it is
a white pyramidal tower with red trim. The date given to this tower
is 2003, which is most likely the date of the construction of the
outer shell to make it historically correct. It is still a current
active aid to navigation, due to the tricky entrance to Trinity
harbour, and is actually one of the few lighthouses in Canada
which is still actively manned by a Keeper, although on a seasonal
Its characteristic range is a white light that flashes every 5
seconds, with a range of fifteen nautical miles, the duration of
flashes makes is a nighttime indicator of what lighthouse a vessel
is located next to, the tone and duration of a fog horn is similarly
indicated, the current horn has a two second blast every 20 seconds.
This was the fourth
building to stand on the site over the years to be a navigational
beacon and aid to mariners entering Trinity Harbour.
The military fortification
site and its archaeology resources are a registered Provincial
Historic Site with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
while the former Light House Keeper’s Home is owned by the
Town of Trinity and operated as an Interpretation
Centre by Trinity Historical Society.